There are many types of toothbrushes to help you improve your dental health. There is a growing trend in people buying electric and bamboo toothbrushes. They both are very effective in removing plaque. Plaque is the colorless bacteria that damage the tooth enamel, causing cavities and gum disease. Without regular and thorough brushing, it can lead to tooth loss and damage to the bone that supports the teeth. Electric and bamboo toothbrushes are available for children and adults. So, this post breaks down the great benefits of using these toothbrushes.
· Helps people with disabilities: People with physical, developmental, and intellectual disabilities usually develop poor dental health. They may have difficulty moving their arms or hands. They may be unable to take care of their teeth independently and need support. Using an electric toothbrush can help them immensely. It requires less effort from the person using it as it does all the work of cleaning the teeth. It can also make them a bit more independent to maintain healthy teeth. However, they may still need supervision or support to ensure that they do not apply too much pressure on the teeth and gums. It can cause bleeding or damage to the tooth enamel (the protective surface on the teeth).
· Wide range: Electric toothbrushes are available in different shapes and sizes to suit your needs. Toothbrush heads also vary according to your needs. The toothbrush head is made specifically for polishing, teeth whitening, deep cleaning, or for people with sensitive teeth. Electric toothbrushes have smaller heads than manual ones. This feature allows each tooth to clean individually. It can also clean hard-to-reach areas in your mouth that regular brushes cannot do.
· Cleans more effectively: Studies have found that electric toothbrushes keep the teeth and gums healthier than manual toothbrushes. Electric toothbrushes have different movements of the bristles to help clean your teeth thoroughly. Some brushes have head bristles moving side to side. At the same time, the head vibrates at high speeds. Other electric toothbrushes have an oscillating head. In other words, the head rotates in both directions: clockwise and anti-clockwise. Toothbrushes with an oscillating head remove more plaque than toothbrushes with a non-oscillating head. Thus, the risk of developing tooth decay and gum disease is low.
· Fun for children: Electric toothbrushes are also available for children ages three years and older. It can make the experience of cleaning their teeth more enjoyable. They are available in different sizes and designs. Some even have their favorite cartoons featured on them. They have extra-soft bristles that are gentle on their teeth and gums. Although electric toothbrushes are safe for children, they may need supervision when they use them. Children with special needs tend to have more oral health problems, such as tooth decay and gum disease. They may also benefit from using electric toothbrushes.
· Helps people with braces: People wearing braces require more care and effort in cleaning their teeth. Food debris tends to get stuck under the braces. If you do not remove it thoroughly, it can lead to plaque build-up. Electric toothbrushes are faster, easy, and more effective for people wearing braces or other orthodontic appliances. The soft bristles on the flexible brush will not damage your teeth or any appliances worn. Speak to your dentist as to which electric toothbrush is best for you.
· Eco-friendly: People in the U.S alone dispose of over 1 billion plastic toothbrushes every year. These plastics usually end up in the oceans, killing marine animals. Furthermore, it takes up to 1000 years for plastic to decompose. Bamboo toothbrushes are eco-friendly because they are 100% biodegradable. So, when you want to dispose of it, you can put it in your garden, in some compost, or in a plant pot. Before disposing of it, use a saw or hammer to break the bamboo stick into smaller pieces. It takes 4 to 6 months for it to decompose itself. Bisphenol A (BPA) is a harmful chemical used to manufacture plastic. It can cause many health conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, and blood pressure. It can also harm the brain and prostate gland. Bamboo toothbrushes are safe to use because they do not contain BPA.
· Re-cyclable or re-use: You can recycle parts of the bamboo toothbrush. Use pliers to pull the bristles from the brush and recycle it. If available, put it in a bio-waste bin. Often, the packaging is also recyclable and biodegradable. So check the package label. Alternatively, you can use the bamboo toothbrush for arts and crafts. Dip the bristles in some paint and get painting! Use the brush to clean objects or areas around your house. You can use the brush handle as fuel for your fireplace.
· Many different varieties: You can buy different types of bamboo toothbrushes. They come in rainbow colors, which is a great way to encourage children to brush their teeth. Buy travel-size bamboo toothbrushes. They have a detachable head to save space or replace when needed. Bamboo toothbrush bristles with activated charcoal are also available. Activated charcoal is a natural way to remove stains and whitens your teeth.
· Anti-microbial and sustainable: Bamboo toothbrushes have anti-microbial properties. So, harmful bacteria cannot grow and accumulate on the brush handle. They are therefore more hygienic than regular plastic toothbrushes. Bamboo is a fast-growing plant that can be grown sustainably. It can grow up to one meter per day! Fertilizers and pesticides are not needed to grow bamboo. When harvested, the plant does not die. It simply starts growing a new shoot from its existing root.
· Cleans effectively: Bamboo toothbrushes are an excellent tool to maintain good oral hygiene. They have soft nylon bristles that are gentle on your teeth and gums. At the same time, it removes plaque from your teeth effectively. Thus, bamboo toothbrushes are safe to use for people of all ages.
There are many advantages to using electric and bamboo toothbrushes. Because both toothbrushes keep dental plaque at bay, your whole family can benefit from having healthy teeth.